It is the policy of The Lansing Journal to provide a work culture that is free of unlawful discrimination. Harassment by coworkers, supervisors, managers, customers, or vendors will not be tolerated.
Sexual harassment is a violation of the sex discrimination provisions of federal, state, and local laws, as is discriminatory intimidation based on gender, race, religion, color, national origin, age, or disability.
Sexual harassment includes the following:
- Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.
- Implication — either explicitly or implicitly — that submission to such conduct is a term or condition of an individual’s employment.
- Implication — either explicitly or implicitly — that submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for employment decisions affecting such individual, such as pay increases, assignments, or other opportunities.
- Lewd comments, dirty jokes, nude pictures, obscene gestures, or other conduct that interferes with an individual’s work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment.
Any employee who believes he or she has been the victim of, or who is aware of, sexual harassment should promptly report this problem to his or her immediate supervisor or the Publisher. Complaints must be made and/or confirmed in writing. All information relating to such a complaint shall be kept absolutely confidential.
All relevant facts, including the context in which the alleged incident occurred, will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis in determining whether an action does, in fact, constitute a violation of this policy. Legal help may be sought in order to examine the criteria proscribed by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, and the Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Sex issued by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Due to the sensitivity of sexual harassment complaints, investigations will be conducted in a discreet and sensitive manner. Should the investigation disclose a violation of this policy, appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including discharge, will be taken. Retaliation or reprisal against persons making complaints is prohibited and will not be tolerated.
Email the Publisher directly ([email protected]) to offer further input on this sexual harassment policy.
- Advertising policy
- Comment policy
- Corrections policy
- Donor transparency policy
- Local Voices (Letters to the Editor) policy
- Sexual harassment policy
Questions about any of these policies may be directed to Melanie Jongsma, Publisher: