Monday, April 22, 2024

Connect with us:

HomeLansing history

Lansing history

The first pioneers of Oak Glen, a town once next to Lansing, and now part of it

Throughout its early decades, Oak Glen became a strong, independent community with four grocery stores, a men’s furnishing store, post office

The origins, growth, and challenges of Oak Glen, a town once next to Lansing, and now part of it

This historical feature covers the first settlement in our area known as Sesser, Cummings Corners, and eventually Oak Glen ...

Lansing History: The house on Thornton-Lansing Road that’s 135 years old

Newspapers used as additional insulation can still be found in the floorboards and rafters of the house...

Lansing History: Kilroy’s Pub — serving Lansing under a variety of names since 1906

The building at 3502 Ridge Road, Lansing, Illinois — known today as Kilroy’s Pub and Restaurant — is believed to have been built in 1890....

Lansing History: The CJ Frank building

In about 1951, CJ Frank moved his business into the building at 3423 Ridge Road to accommodate the Insurance/Real Estate/License Plate part of his business.

Lansing History: Erfert’s Ice Cream Parlor and the Erfert House on Ridge Road

Using new slider technology, readers can easily compare then and now in Lansing, including the Erfert ice cream parlor building erected in 1850 as a residence....

Lansing History: The Adduci house on Ridge and Lorenz once belonged to Henry Lansing

Not much is known of Henry Lansing, the man Lansing, Illinois, was named after. And no photos exist of the original Lansing family. But the house...

Lansing History: Remembering Dr. Van Drunen, Lansing’s family doctor from 1936-1972

...Dr. Jacob L. Van Drunen was one such physician, practicing in Lansing from 1936 to 1972. His office and home was at 3253 Ridge Road....

Video: Every cemetery tells a story

Local historian and history teacher Jeff White walked through Oak Glen Lutheran Cemetery with Josh, describing how a town cemetery tells the story of...

Lansing History: First it was First National Bank; now it’s Mancino’s

First it was First National Bank, now it's Mancino's, and in between it was Hofstra's for Men and Holiday World....

Lansing history: Did Lansing have a pickle factory?

On a tip that long ago a pickle factory may have operated on the site of the former Waters Edge building at 18418 Wentworth Avenue, a search began....

Lansing history: Brick by brick a community is built

Many early settlers came to Lansing from Holland and Germany to start a new life. Some found the rich soil suitable for growing vegetables and bought farmland. Others dug deeper...

Lansing history: Lansing’s original Village Hall has served Board members and bike owners — and much in between

LANSING, Ill. (April 26, 2023) - In early 1893 the population of unincorporated Lansing was 249 — and that included the towns of Bernice...

Lansing history: The family farm that became Fox Pointe

LANSING, Ill. (March 21, 2023) - Where once cows grazed and horses frolicked on a family farm, now people relax on a manicured lawn....

Lansing history: From Riemer’s Farm Stand to Van Til’s to Jansma’s

Changing times eventually force a Lansing icon to close By Marlene Cook LANSING, Ill. (February 21, 2023) - Beneath the TF South High School building at...