District 171 Board meeting – 6:30 p.m.
The October 16 meeting of the District 171 School Board begins at 6:30 p.m. The meeting will occur at Heritage Middle School, 19266 Burnham Avenue in Lansing.
Agenda – 6:30 p.m.
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance
- The mission of Sunnybrook School District 171 is to maximize student achievement by cultivating critical thinking skills, innovative instructional practices and a collaborative school, home, and community partnership.
- Roll Call
- Any person wishing to address the Board about an item that is on the agenda should do so when that item is up for discussion. Visitors’ statements will be limited to two minutes per person. A total of thirty minutes will be allocated for Visitors’ Statements at the end of the meeting. Items related to personnel issues will be redirected to the appropriate Administrator.
- Recommended Motion: Consent Agenda
- To approve the Regular Board of Education meeting minutes of September 18, 2023, closed session minutes of September 18, 2023, October expenses and August payroll in the amount of $1,842,974.58, as presented.
- Information Items
- Mr. David Shrader: Tentative Tax Levy
- Administrator Reports
- Dr. Erika Millhouse Pettis, Superintendent
- Dr. Lori Owens Stranc, Assistant Superintendent/Director of Curriculum & Instruction
- Mr. David Shrader, Chief School Business Official
- Ms. Juliane Greene, Director of Special Services
- Dr. Mike McGowan, Director of Technology
- Mrs. Chantelle Cambric, Principal, Heritage Middle School
- Mr. Joseph Kent, Principal, Nathan Hale School
- Policy Committee:
- First Reading:
- Policy 2:170: Procurement of Architectural, Engineering, and Land Surveying Services
- Policy 7:305: Student Athlete Concussions and Head Injuries
- Policy 5:230: Maintaining Student Discipline
- Policy 4:100: Insurance Management
- Policy 4:45: Insufficient Fund Checks and Debt Recovery Review and Monitoring
- Policy 8:95: Parental Involvement
- Policy 2:80: Board Member Oath and Conduct
- Policy 8:25: Advertising and Distributing Materials in Schools Provided by Non-School Related Entities
- Policy 7:275: Orders to Forgo Life-Sustaining Treatment
- Policy 6:240: Field Trips and Recreational Class Trips
- Policy 6:190: Extracurricular and Co-Curricular Activities
- Policy-E Exhibit: Board Member Code of Conduct
- Policy 6:10: Educational Philosophy and Objectives
- Recommended Motions
- Recommended Motion: To accept the resignation, with regret, of Ms. Ashley Stalter, Social Worker, Nathan Hale School, effective December 31, 2023, as presented.
- Recommended Motion: To accept the resignation, with regret, of Mrs. Jacqueline Terrazas, Paraprofessional, Nathan Hale School, effective October 17, 2023, as presented.
- Recommended Motion: To accept the resignation, with regret, of Ms. Pamela Jernigan, Cleaner, Heritage Middle School, effective December 21, 2023, as presented.
- Recommended Motion: To approve the purchase of a block of 100 hours of maintenance and service to our security, camera, and door access systems from Computers Nationwide at a cost of $10,000, as presented.
- Visitors’ Statements
- Closed Session
- Recommended Motion: To move in to closed session for the purpose of the appointment, compensation, student discipline, performance for dismissal of specific employees of the district. 5ILCS 120/2 (c) (1). Superintendent/Board Relations.
Schedule and Open Meetings Act
The Open Meetings Act requires that “An agenda for each regular meeting shall be posted at the principal office of the public body and at the location where the meeting is to be held at least 48 hours in advance of the holding of the meeting.” District 171 posts agendas and minutes on its website.
Lansing Journal subscribers receive an email each morning with links to Lansing headlines, so they stay informed about items being discussed at public meetings, as well as news that happens between meetings.