by Melanie Jongsma
DOLTON, Ill. (May 22, 2020) – Mayor Riley Rogers will continue his local relief efforts by hosting a food and mask giveaway on Saturday, May 23, beginning at 9:00am. The giveaway will be held in the parking lot of the Melanie Fitness Center at 14900 Greenwood Road, Dolton.
Mayor Rogers and a team of volunteers will pass out 10,000 masks and 500 fresh produce food boxes. This is the first of what will be a weekly giveaway event—each Saturday the “Farm To Family” food initiative will bring 500–1,000 boxes of fresh food for local families.
Mayor Rogers has instituted a variety of COVID-19 relief initiatives, in an effort to help sustain the local community throughout the crisis. Over the past two months, nearly 7,000 meals have been distributed, over 600 masks have been delivered, and 50 small business owners have received economic assistance in the Village of Dolton.
Programs have included:
- An 8-week Small Business Pop Up with local businesses providing food and essentials for the community
- A mask giveaway for vulnerable residents—over 600 masks were delivered to the doorsteps of seniors and residents with pre-existing medical conditions
- Small Business Workshops in which Mayor Rogers partnered with a local attorney to help small business owners apply for economic relief funds
- Senior Meal Delivery—Mayor Rogers has delivered over 300 meals to the doorsteps of local senior communities
- First responder dinner distribution that provided 2,800 warm dinners for first responders, seniors, and residents facing food insecurity.
- A Community Food Donation Drive that allows residents to donate canned and non-perishable food items to support fellow residents in the community