District 171 Board meeting – 6:30 p.m.
The August 21 meeting of the District 171 School Board begins at 6:30 p.m. The meeting will occur at Heritage Middle School, 19266 Burnham Avenue in Lansing.
Agenda – 6:30 p.m.
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance
- The mission of Sunnybrook School District 171 is to maximize student achievement by cultivating critical thinking skills, innovative instructional practices and a collaborative school, home, and community partnership.
- Roll Call
- Any person wishing to address the Board about an item that is on the agenda should do so when that item is up for discussion. Visitors’ statements will be limited to two minutes per person. A total of thirty minutes will be allocated for Visitors’ Statements at the end of the meeting. Items related to personnel issues will be redirected to the appropriate Administrator.
- Recommended Motion: Consent Agenda
- To approve the Regular Board meeting minutes of June 26, 2023, closed session minutes of June 26, 2023, August expenses and July payroll in the amount of $1,115,825.58, as presented.
- FOIA Request: Request from Will Tillman: Requesting a copy of Dr. Erika Millhouse Pettis, Superintendent, current contract.
- FOIA Request: Request from: SmartProcure for any and all purchasing records from 4/26/23 to current.
- FOIA Request: Request from NBC Chicago to provide documents which include a request to reconsider, ban, and/or challenge any book or any other material in any of our school district’s libraries or classrooms.
- Informational Items
- Long Term Substitute: Dr. Brittany Hoskin, 5th grade ELA Teacherfor the 2023 2024 school year.
- Long Term Substitute: Mr. William Wilson, P.E. Teacher, Heritage Middle School for the 2023- 2024 school year.
- Board Reports
- Administrator Reports
- Dr. Erika Millhouse Pettis, Superintendent
- Dr. Lori Owens Stranc, Assistant Superintendent/Director of Curriculum & Instruction
- Mr. David Shrader, Chief School Business Official
- Ms. Juliann Greene, Director of Special Services
- Dr. Mike McGowan, Director of Technology
- Mrs. Chantelle Cambric, Principal, Heritage Middle School
- Mr. Joseph Kent, Principal, Nathan Hale School
- Recommended Motions: Resignations
- To approve the resignation of Mr. Aaron Alderden, 5th grade ELA teacher, was hired at the June 26, 2023 board meeting, effective immediately, as presented.
- To approve the resignation, with regret, of Ms. Stefani Rimkus, teacher Nathan Hale School (and previously Heritage Middle School), effective immediately, as presented.
- Recommended Motions: Employment
- To approve the employment of Mr. David Carter, full time Heritage Day/Evening Custodial position, salary of $18.00 per hour, pending successful background check results, as presented.
- To approve the employment of Ms. Esperanza Rodriguez, part time cleaner, Heritage Middle School, salary of $15.00 per hour, pending successful background check results, as presented.
- To approve the contract with Omni Therapeutics, Inc. for therapy services for the 2023- 2024 school year, as presented.
- To approve the Superintendent contract at the conclusion of the 2026-2027 school year, as presented.
- Recommended Motions:
- To approve the organizational chart for Sunnybrook S.D. #171, as presented.
- To approve the various capital projects 2023 change orders in the amount of $56,084.99, as presented.
- To approve the Intergovernmental Cooperative Agreement with the Lansing Public Library, Board of Trustees, as presented.
- To refuse to accept the resignation of Mr. Neelesh Sane, as presented.
- To approve the Open Session Minutes of the April 18, 2023 and May 9, 2023 Board meetings of the ECHO Executive Board of Directors; and the minutes of the May 9, 2023 Public Hearing on Public School Calendar.
- To approve the FY24 Independent Contractor Agreements for ECHO, as presented.
- Visitors Statements
- Closed Session
- Recommended Motion: To move in to closed session for the purpose of the appointment, compensation, student discipline, performance for dismissal of specific employees of the district. 5ILCS 120/2 (c) (1). Superintendent/Board Relations.
Schedule and Open Meetings Act
The Open Meetings Act requires that “An agenda for each regular meeting shall be posted at the principal office of the public body and at the location where the meeting is to be held at least 48 hours in advance of the holding of the meeting.” District 171 posts agendas and minutes on its website.
Lansing Journal subscribers receive an email each morning with links to Lansing headlines, so they stay informed about items being discussed at public meetings, as well as news that happens between meetings.