Invited to submit application for national science fair recognition
SOUTH HOLLAND, Ill. (May 3, 2023) – After Memorial Jr. High organized a fanfare-filled send-off for its state science fair competitors last week, four of the nine students earned a gold finish and a chance at national recognition.
Officially known as the Illinois Junior Academy of Science State Fair, the state competition is hosted at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Illinois. Friday was a project set-up day, and students also had an opportunity to tour the SIU campus. On Saturday, the judging began at 9 a.m. Awards were announced from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
The nine Memorial students spent the day presenting their own projects and examining others’. Four student projects earned gold in the competition.
The full list of state competitors is listed alphabetically below, with the gold winners in bold:
- Anay Aleman, Grade 7: Are Cats Right or Left Pawed? (Behavioral Science)
- Josiah Carter, Grade 7: Dribble It! (Physics)
- Miguel Chavez and Julian Rivera, Grade 8: Does a Homemade Water Filter Have Cleaner Water than a Manufactured Water Filter? (Environmental Science)
- Kyle Jones, Grade 7: Do Submarines Need Fins? (Physics Experimental)
- Drew Losnedahl, Grade 7: Discovering the Optimal Growing Conditions of Oyster Mushrooms (Botany) – Drew received a perfect score at Regionals
- Mya Major, Grade 8: Does Different Type of Music Affect Heart Rate? (Behavioral Science)
- Szion Pullin, Grade 8: Do Plants Need Electrolytes? (Botany)
- Benjamin Williams, Grade 7: Can Temperature Change the Strength of a Magnet? (Physics)
“I am so proud of the hard work and long hours these boys put into their projects,” said Angela Albrecht, 7th grade science teacher at Memorial Junior High School. “The time spent not only to create a neat and eye-appealing visual display board, but also the time doing background research and compiling a research report packet. Each of them shared their expertise on their own project with ease and confidence. All their efforts paid off, and the relief and joy they had was well deserved. We are very proud of all our Mighty Mustangs that competed.”
Gold-winning students from Memorial are invited to submit an application to the national science fair, where further recognition is possible.
Memorial Junior High School is located at 2721 Ridge Road in Lansing, Illinois.