Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Connect with us:

LPD awarded hiring grant from COPS

$375,000 will cover 75% of three years of three salaries

by Melanie Jongsma

LANSING, Ill. (February 7, 2018) – The Lansing Police Department announced that the Village of Lansing has been awarded funding through the 2017 COPS Hiring Program to hire three additional Probationary Police Officers.

The Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) grant is a competitive federal grant funded through the United States Department of Justice. It is designed to help state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies across the nation with funding to hire additional police officers.

In 2017, over 1,100 agencies applied for the grant, and 179 of those received awards. The Village of Lansing was one of only five Illinois Police Departments to receive funding in 2017. Lansing will receive $375,000 over a period of three years. The grant provides funding for up to 75% of the approved entry level salaries for each officer over a period of three years, with a maximum of $125,000 per officer over the life of the grant. The Village will make up the remaining 25%, totaling $125,000 over three years.

The three officers hired with the grant money will be hired in addition to the existing number of sworn officers already funded through the Village of Lansing.

The Village of Lansing Board of Police and Fire Commissioners have announced that applications for the position of Probationary Police Officer will be available from February 20 through March 17, 2018. Applications will be available at the Village of Lansing Municipal Center, located at 3141 Ridge Road in Lansing. Please visit the Village of Lansing website, or Facebook page, or the Lansing Illinois Police Department’s Facebook Page for additional information about the hiring process.



Melanie Jongsma
Melanie Jongsma
Melanie Jongsma grew up in Lansing, Illinois, and believes The Lansing Journal has an important role to play in building community through trustworthy information.