by Melanie Jongsma
LANSING, Ill. (November 5, 2021) – A special all-female Honor Flight took off from Midway Airport on October 6, 2021, and three Lansing residents were aboard. Lansing Mayor Patty Eidam (who chose not to be interviewed), Vita Barber (whom we delivered a letter to and who has not yet replied), and Valorie Harris. Valorie agreed to meet with The Lansing Journal and share her experience on Operation HerStory, as the flight was called.
Helpful links referred to in our conversation with Valorie are included below:
Honor Flight Chicago
The Lansing Journal has covered Honor Flight in a variety of stories, which can be found by clicking the search icon and typing “Honor Flight.” Most recently, we interviewed John Bush, who participated in the August 18, 2021, Honor Flight:
- Video: Melanie and John Bush talk Vietnam, Honor Flight, and feeling like a lobster (posted September 24, 2021)
Information about monuments in Washington DC
- Women in Military Service for America Memorial (Wikipedia article)
- Lincoln Memorial (National Park Service web page)
- Korean War Veterans Memorial: telling a story with images (2012 article by Melanie Jongsma)
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial (Wikipedia article)
- Changing of the Guard (Arlington National Cemetery web page)
National Women Veterans United
This is the organization Valorie joined and is very active with.
Sign up for Honor Flight
Every World War II, Korean War, and Vietnam War veteran in Chicagoland is invited to apply to travel with Honor Flight Chicago to Washington DC for a day of honor and remembrance: