by Melanie Jongsma
LANSING, Ill. (July 3, 2020) – The Lansing Journal gathers COVID-19 data from a variety of sources each day and chooses a few of those numbers to include in our daily update. Sources include the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Cook County Department of Public Health, and the Indiana State Department of Health.
We are still including the bullet-points that readers are used to, but take a look at the new charts from HiGeorge, which they updated in response to reader feedback. Let us know in the comments if you think these charts could now replace the bullet points.
- Cumulative cases since 3/16/20: 426 (yesterday: 424)
- Cumulative deaths since 3/16/20: 11 (yesterday: 11)
- Case rate: 1.5% (1,504 per 100,000 people)
Again, the information in the bullet points is also presented in the charts below, so we may choose to eliminate the bullet points—but we welcome your input in the comments.
- New cases: 868 (yesterday: 869)
- New deaths: 18 (yesterday: 36)
- Total cases: 145,750
- Total deaths:7,005
- Recovery rate: 94%
Statewide Indiana numbers are listed below, along with Lake County numbers:
- New cases statewide today: 541 (yesterday: 453)
- New cases in Lake County today: 74 (yesterday: 113)
- New deaths statewide today: 19 (yesterday: 13)
- New deaths in Lake County today: 0 (yesterday: 1)
- Total cases statewide: 46,387
- Total cases in Lake County: 5,053
- Total deaths statewide: 2,488
- Total deaths in Lake County: 242
Note: Because of the way Indiana reports their numbers, it’s not entirely clear whether the Lake County numbers and the statewide numbers reflect the same 24-hour period. A July 2 press release from the Indiana State Department of Health includes “today’s” numbers, while the IN.gov website, which provides numbers by county, explains, “Below results are as of 07/01/2020, 11:59 PM. Dashboard updated daily at 12:00 PM. New positive cases, deaths and tests have occurred over a range of dates but were reported to ISDH in the last 24 hours.”