LANSING, Ill. (September 7, 2023) – The American Legion Auxiliary Unit 697 held its annual officer installation prior to its meeting on Wednesday, September 8.
A regular rhythm of each faction of the American Legion family in August and September is to install or re-install new officers. These factions include the American Legion, the Sons of the American Legion, the American Legion Riders, and the American Legion Auxiliary.
The Legion Auxiliary installed and reinstalled seven officers on Wednesday. The newly-installed positions are listed below:
- President — Tina Funchion
- Vice President — Pam Altgilbers
- Secretary — Patricia Duzek
- Treasurer — Debbi Recker
- Historian — Sandi Gangolf
- Sgt. at Arms — Cassie Velez
- Chaplain — Carol McFarland
Of the above, Altgilbers and Velez are first-time office-holders for the Legion Auxiliary, which hosts programs, raises funds for local charitable causes, and supports local veterans.
The Legion Auxiliary comprises spouses, sisters, daughters, mothers, grandmothers, or granddaughters of American Legion members.
American Legion Auxiliary Edward Schultz Unit 697 in Lansing currently has 83 total members.
Starting shortly after 7 p.m., installing officers Donna Murphy, Patty Grigutis, and Debbie Altgilbers escorted, swore in, and installed the new officers.
After the Pledge of Allegiance, prayer, and the recitation of the preamble to the Constitution, Murphy exhorted each new officers to promote “the ideals of justice, freedom, democracy, and loyalty.”
The ladies further swore: “I promise to perform faithfully all the duties of the office I am about to assume, and I further pledge that I am not a member of, and do not subscribe to, the principles of any group opposed to our form of government.”
The following list of events was supplied by the Legion Auxiliary:
- The next Queen of Hearts event is September 10.
- A pancake breakfast will take place on November 11 at the American Legion Post.
- A St. Baldrick’s fundraiser will be take place on September 17 at noon at Avenue 912 in Griffith.
- Bunco at the Lansing post will be on September 17, $20 a person.
- The Legion Riders’ Trunk or Treat will take place on October 28.
The American Legion Edward Schultz Unit 697 post is located at 18255 Grant Street in Lansing.
- Legion Riders present Col. Bill Altgilbers with lost military shirt (September 2, 2023)