by Josh Bootsma
LANSING, Ill. (January 13, 2023) – A collaboration of musicians, business owners, community organizers, and progress celebrators will gather at Waddie Ann Events on Sunday, January 15 in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King. The Lansing Journal stopped in to preview the event with some of the people involved:
- Buy tickets for Sunday’s event on Eventbrite.
Waddie Ann Events
- More information about Waddie Ann’s venue is available at facebook.com/eventswithwaddieann
- Read about her original plans when she was planning to move into a different location in Lansing:
- Event venue business hopes to host weddings and parties in Landings shopping area (September 12, 2020)
“Second line” music and the Windy City Ramblers
- More info about Mario Abney and the Windy City Ramblers can be found at windycityramblers.org.
- Mario mentioned “Second line” music — a type of music steeped in history and tradition which refers to the “second line” of a New Orleans funeral or other formal procession. Read more about the rich cultural music here.
The Story of Martin Luther King – by Henry Rush
The original version of the song (part one), as sung by the Norfleet Brothers:
Have a video topic you’d like Josh and Melanie to discuss? They are open to suggestions. Email your ideas to [email protected], and they will both receive them.