BY QUINTON R. ARTHUR
SOUTH HOLLAND, Ill. (December 27, 2022) – The Thornton Township Board held its December meeting on December 20, 2022. The meeting included an agreement with Enterprise, public comment regarding holiday bonuses, and a holiday message from Supervisor Tiffany Henyard.
Enterprise General Fleet Agreement
After acceptance of the Enterprise General Fleet agreement, an explanation of the agreement was presented.
The agreement allows the township to keep vehicles, such as buses, for a predetermined period of time or to a certain mileage. Once the time or mileage has been met, the township has the option of purchasing the vehicle or trading it in for a newer vehicle.
Zuccarelli Assistance Program manager Stanley Brown said the program was good for the township.
“We have 22 vehicles, and 11 of those vehicles are 2004 vehicles. We spend tons of dollars on repair every year. This is a good deal so we can cut down on maintenance,” said Brown.
Nathaniel Fields, Digital Communications Specialist of Thornton Township, advocated on behalf of coworkers for a holiday bonus and to arrange transportation for employees. According to Fields, former supervisor Frank Zuccarelli would provide staff with holiday bonuses.
While the decision noted a deficit as the reason for not providing holiday bonuses, Supervisor Henyard said she has been working with Robert Hunt, Director of Finance, to incorporate a cost of living raise in the budget for 2023.
On transportation, Henyard did not support the idea, saying, “You have to find your way to work with any job.”
Henyard wanted to leave the public with words of love to end the last meeting of the year: “Make sure you love on each other this holiday season. Today is not promised and neither is tomorrow,” she said.
- Township Talk — December 28, 2022, from 5 – 7 p.m. 333 E. 162nd Street, South Holland
- Snow Program — Thornton Township will be helping to remove snow from the homes of seniors during the holiday season
A complete listing of events can be found on the Thornton Township events calendar.
Other agenda items
- Approval of General Fund
- Approval of Bills for the Road and Bridge fund
- Approval of the 2023 Holiday and Board Meeting Calendar
The December 20 meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.
Meetings are held at 6 p.m. at 333 East 162nd Street, South Holland.
- Tensions run high during public comment at Thornton Township Board meeting (September 29, 2022)
- Thornton Township General Assistance Fund receives approval after 70-minute closed session (August 20, 2022)