End of the year celebrations and preparation for the next year discussed at Sunnybrook’s last meeting
BY QUINTON R. ARTHUR
LANSING, Ill. (May 18, 2022) – The last school board meeting of year for Sunnybrook District 171 was held on Monday, and the agenda was light as most matters focused on next school year.
End of year reminders
Dr. Lori Owens Stranc, Assistant Superintendent and Director of Curriculum and Instruction, asked parents to visit the district’s curriculum and instruction webpage. Parents can access Math, English Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies lessons to continue their child’s learning over the summer.
Technology Director Mike McGowan reminded parents that registration is open on the district website for next school year.
During Heritage Middle School updates, Principal Chantelle Cambric gave shoutouts for the end of the year events held at the school. The school hosted a band concert and a performance of a play, Annie Jr.
“I’m sure we’ll see some of [the students] in the arts in the future, and they will be able to look back and give credit to their foundation,” said Cambric in praise of Annie Jr.
Lastly, she mentioned students won first place in their Scholastic Bowl competition.
Nathan Hale Middle School Principal Joseph Kent, reminded the district about the kindergarten celebration which will be held on May 25 starting at 9 am.
“We are celebrating and acknowledging those kindergarteners that have made it through their first year of official school,” Kent said.
Other agenda items
- Approval of May Bills and May Payroll in the amount of $1,180,662.54.
- Approval of the employment of school staff and rehiring of paraprofessionals.
- Approval of renewal of Edmentum, Courseware, and Study Island
- Approval of 2022-2023 Transportation Contract with Kickert School Bus Lines
- Approval of classroom furniture at Nathan Hale School, cost of $24,177.00, purchased with Title I funds.
- Approval of all expenses paid for school board members and Superintendent to attend the National School Board Association CUBE Conference, September 29 – October 1, 2022 in Miami, Florida.
- Approval of all expenses paid for school board members to attend the Annual Triple I Conference, November 18-20, 2022, Chicago.
- Approval of renovations to the Counselor and Social Worker Offices at Nathan Hale School.
The last day of school for District 171 will be on May 26, 2022.