By Josh Bootsma
LANSING, Ill. (June 22, 2021) – After a year off due to COVID, there were no guarantees that the TF South Boys Track team would continue their multi-year streak of success. As this year’s shortened season drew to a close, the team can boast more athletes sent to the state competition than ever before, some of which were named all-state competitors.
Saturday’s state competition was held at Eastern Illinois University, and welcomed athletes from all over Illinois. After a highly successful sectional performance, TF South sent eight events to the competition, the most in school history. Both Tylar Mack and Joseph Ogunbode achieved an “all-state” designation.
The results of all eight events TF South brought to the state competition are listed below, along with times and distances:
- 100 Meters — Tylar Mack – 10.86 seconds (12th place in state)
- 200 Meters — Tylar Mack – 22.55 seconds (Eighth place in state, “all-state” designation)
- 110 Meter Hurdles – 39” — Favour Ojelabi – 15.82 seconds (18th place in state)
- 300 Meter Hurdles – 36” — Navonte Arnold – 43.27 seconds (18th place in state)
- 4×100 Meter Relay — Derek Smith, Joseph Turner, Ryan Coleman, Tylar Mack – 43.59 seconds (17th place in state)
- Discus — Isaiah Isom – 45.42 meters (10th place in state)
- High Jump — Christian Heffner – 1.85 meters (19th place in state)
- Triple Jump — Joseph Ogunbode – 13.76 meters (Sixth place in state, “all-state” designation)
Full event placings are available at athletic.net.
A successful season
Coach Stephen Nelson said he was proud of his team, some of whom ran despite injuries on Saturday.
“The kids really came together and performed and worked hard,” Nelson said. “For it being a truncated season without having the time to prepare like we normally would, I’m very very happy and very thankful. It was a successful season and I’m very excited to see what the next chapter is going to hold when we hopefully come back with a full season next year.”
Earlier this year, TF South Boys Track won its fourth straight conference championship, before the team’s historically-successful performance at sectionals.
TF South Girls Track also had a successful season, winning their conference championship, enjoying a good showing at sectionals, and having senior Shanera Cambric place 15th in the state in the Long Jump (5.05 meters).
TF South is located at 18500 Burnham Avenue, Lansing, IL.
- TF South boys track to bring eight events to state competition—most in school history (June 11, 2021)
- TF South boys track rolls to fourth consecutive conference championship (June 4, 2021)
- TF South girls track wins conference championship, advances to sectionals (May 27, 2021)