By Josh Bootsma
LANSING, Ill. (March 26, 2021) – The Cook County Assessor’s Office has announced it is extending the deadline for homeowners to apply for a property tax exemption for tax year 2020 to April 9, 2021.
The following exemptions will renew automatically for residents who received them last year and remained eligible to receive them this year:
- Homeowner Exemption (annual auto-renewal)
- Senior Exemption (annual auto-renewal)
- Senior Freeze Exemption (2020 auto-renewal)
- Persons with Disabilities Exemption (2020 auto-renewal)
- Veterans with Disabilities Exemption (2020 auto-renewal)
The Longtime and Returning Veterans Exemption will not auto-renew this year.
According to the Assessor’s Office, they “recently identified households who may be newly eligible for exemptions (such as homes that recently sold before January 1, 2020) and homes that have not received an exemption in the last two years. Purple booklets containing applications and instructions on how to apply for the Homeowner, Senior, and Senior Freeze Exemptions were mailed to these properties.”
Homeowners can read about and apply for exemptions on the Cook County Assessor’s website.