Mayor, Trustee salaries not included in amendment
by Melanie Jongsma
LANSING, Ill. (June 14, 2020) – At the June 2 Village Board meeting, Trustees voted unanimously to approve Ordinance #20-015, which amends Chapter 2, Article VII of the Lansing Municipal Code.
The Village Clerk salary is currently set at $45,000. Ordinance #20-015 proposes two possible levels of compensation—a full-time salary of $60,000 with health and medical benefits, or a part-time salary of $30,000 with no benefits. “The ordinance contemplates the Village Treasurer or Administrator certifying every year to the Mayor and the Village Board the amount of hours that the Clerk is working so that a determination can be made whether or not to treat the pay as full- or part-time,” explained Village Administrator Dan Podgorski.
At the February 18 Committee of the Whole meeting, Podgorski had proposed three salary increases to the Board:
- A 19% increase for the position of Mayor, raising the base pay from $52,000 to $62,000, and maintaining the $5,000 for Liquor Commissioner responsibilities. The proposal also recommended clarifying that the mayor functions as a full-time employee and should receive health and dental insurance.
- A 44% increase for the position of Village Clerk, raising the salary from $45,000 to $65,000.
- A 7.7% increase for the position of Trustee, raising the annual salary from $13,000 to $14,000, and providing an additional $1,000 for the Trustee who serves as Finance Chair, because of the extra responsibilities involved in that role.
Trustee Maureen Grady-Perovich asked whether the salary increases for the Mayor and Trustee positions were still under consideration. She had indicated at the February meeting that she found it difficult to justify those proposed increases.
“I’m just presenting what I believe we have a majority opinion on, based on conversations I’ve had,” said Podgorski. “This ordinance only contemplates the Clerk position.”
Trustee Jerry Zeldenrust made a motion to approve Ordinance #20-015, Trustee Mike Manno seconded the motion, and the vote was unanimous.
The increase in salary will go into effect after the 2021 municipal elections. Whoever is elected Village Clerk at that time will receive the approved salary.
Vivian Payne ran as an Independent candidate and was elected Village Clerk in 2017. She joined the Village Voice Party in 2019 and plans to run on their ticket in 2021.
Village Board meetings
Village Board meetings and Committee of the Whole meetings are open to the public and take place at the Municipal Court Complex (the police station) at 2710 170th Street on the first and third Tuesdays of the month. The next meeting is scheduled for June 16, 2020.
Elected officials are available between meetings for any members of the public who have questions or ideas:
- Email Mayor Patty Eidam, or call 708-895-7208
- Email Administrator Podgorski, or call 708-895-7202
- Email Trustee Maureen Grady-Perovich, or call 708-832-4563
- Email Trustee Saad Abbasy, or call 708-832-4569
- Email Trustee Mike Fish, or call 708-832-4568
- Email Trustee Brian Hardy, or call 708-832-4564
- Email Trustee Mike Manno, or call 708-832-4566
- Email Trustee Jerry Zeldenrust, or call 708-832-4570