information provided by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
CHICAGO, Ill. (December 31, 2019) – The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation has announced 11 more “Same Site” adult use cannabis licenses, which will allow an existing medical cannabis dispensary to obtain an adult use dispensing license, and the first “Secondary Site” adult use cannabis license, which will allow an existing medical cannabis dispensary to obtain an adult use dispensing organization license within a limited geographic area.
This license will permit the dispensary to begin adult use cannabis sales at that location starting January 1, 2020, provided the dispensary complies with local zoning rules or other local laws. These recent approvals raise the total number of approved adult use cannabis dispensary licenses to 46.
In addition to opening adult use dispensaries at the same site of their medical cannabis dispensaries, existing medical cannabis dispensaries are permitted under the law to open a second site for adult use sales at a different location. In the coming months, new applicants, including social equity applicants, will have the opportunity to apply for an additional 75 adult use cannabis licenses. Social equity applicants are eligible for additional points on their application and for technical assistance, low-interest loans and fee reductions. More information about applying as a social equity applicant can be found here.
The medical dispensaries who received early approval adult use licenses are:
- Greenhouse Group (2400 W. US Route 6, Morris, IL 60450)
- NuMed Chicago (1308 W. North Ave., Chicago, IL 60642)
- NuMed East Peoria (504 Riverside Dr., East Peoria, IL 61611)
- NuMed Urbana (105 E University Ave., Urbana, IL 61801)
- Windy City Cannabis Club (1137 W. 175th St., Homewood, IL 60430)
- Windy City Cannabis Club (8340 S. Roberts Rd., Justice, IL 60458)
- Windy City Cannabis Club (11425 S. Harlem Ave., Worth, IL 60425)
- Windy City Cannabis Club (2535 Veterans Dr., Posen, IL 60469)
- Trinity Compassionate Care Centers (3125 N. University St. Ste. B, Peoria, IL 61604)
- Rise – Joliet **Adult Use Only; Secondary Site** (2903 Colorado Ave., Joliet, IL 60431)
- Thrive Anna (87 Richview Dr., Anna, IL 62906)
- Thrive Harrisburg (105 Veterans Drive, Harrisburg, IL 62946)
The Department anticipates receiving additional applications for early approval adult use licenses as municipalities adopt relevant zoning ordinances regarding adult use cannabis.
Starting January 1, 2020, the law permits Illinois residents who are at least 21 years old to legally possess up to 30 grams of cannabis flower and up to 5 grams of cannabis concentrate.