New date, same schedule: Wednesday, December 4
by Melanie Jongsma
LANSING, Ill. (November 29, 2019) – “After looking at various weather forecasts for tomorrow, we have decided to cancel tomorrow night’s tree-lighting ceremony and Santa House opening,” said Village Communication Director Ken Reynolds just before noon today. “The forecast of steady rain and 15 mph+ winds would create an unpleasant event for all.”
The event has been rescheduled for Wednesday, December 4, with the same schedule in place:
- 4:30pm – Public Works will close the gates on Randolph Street to allow for crowds to gather safely around the Santa House and throughout Fox Pointe.
- 5:00pm – The Memorial Junior High Choir will sing carols while the Girl Scouts begin serving hot chocolate at tables set up on Randolph Street.
- 5:15pm – The choir, under the direction of Miss Hailey Rumbles, will be introduced and will perform a selected medley of songs.
- 5:35pm – The crowd will move to the lawn area west of the Village Christmas tree. Mayor Eidam will address the crowd and offer some holiday remarks, before beginning the official countdown to the lighting of the tree.
- 5:45pm – Santa and Mrs. Claus will arrive, escorted by Lansing police and fire. They will be escorted into the Santa House, where they will prepare to meet with children and families.
- 6:00pm – Santa’s helpers will ask the crowd to begin lining up at the west door of the Santa House, and Santa will begin receiving guests.
- 8:00pm – Santa House visitations will conclude for the evening.
Santa and Mrs. Claus will maintain visiting hours at the Santa House throughout December as follows:
- Wednesdays: December 4, 11, 18 from 6:00–8:00pm
- Fridays: December 6, 13, 20 from 6:00–8:00pm
- Saturdays: December 7 and 14 from 1:00–3:00pm
The Santa House is located at 18106 Henry Street in Lansing, Illinois.