Early catch-and-release opportunity opens October 5 at select sites*
information provided by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (September 23, 2019) – The 2019 Illinois Fall Trout Fishing Season opens Saturday, October 19, at 57 ponds, lakes, and streams throughout the state.
An early opportunity at select trout sites—the Fall Catch-and-Release Fishing Season—will open October 5 at locations marked with an asterisk (*) in the list below. No trout may be kept during the catch-and-release fishing period, but anglers can keep trout after the opening of the regular season beginning October 19.
The Illinois catchable trout program is funded by those who use the program through the sale of Inland Trout Stamps and through the Illinois Fish Management Fund.
The IDNR has added one new site for Fall Trout Fishing in 2019—Kaufman Lake in Champaign—maintaining the stocking of rainbow trout to 67,000 fish in the fall season. Rock Springs Pond in Decatur will be temporarily removed from stocking due to a maintenance project at that site.
No trout may be taken from any of the stocked sites from October 1 until the fall trout season opens at 5:00am October 19. Anyone attempting to take (harvest) trout before the legal harvest season opening will be issued citations.
All anglers—including those who intend to release fish caught before October 19—must have a valid fishing license and an Inland Trout Stamp, unless they are under the age of 16, blind or disabled, or an Illinois resident on leave from active duty in the Armed Forces. The daily catch limit for each angler is five trout.
Illinois fishing licenses and Inland Trout Stamps are available at DNR Direct license and permit locations, including many bait shops, sporting goods stores and other retail outlets. Check the IDNR website.
Fishing licenses and trout stamps also can be purchased by using a credit card through DNR Direct online via the IDNR website at www.dnr.illinois.gov.
NOTE: Not all fall trout sites open at 5:00am on opening day. Anglers are reminded to check the opening time of their favorite trout fishing location prior to the season. For more information about all site regulations, anglers should contact individual sites that will be stocked with catchable-size trout.
2019 Illinois Fall Trout Locations
* Denotes sites open for catch-and-release fishing early season
- Bureau County: Hennepin Canal Parkway
- Cook County: Axehead Lake, Cook County Forest Preserve District
- Cook County: Belleau Lake, Cook County Forest Preserve District
- Cook County: Busse Woods North, Cook County Forest Preserve District
- Cook County: Green Lake, Cook County Forest Preserve District
- Cook County: Wolf Lake, William W. Powers State Recreation Area
- DuPage County: Silver Lake, DuPage County Forest Preserve District
- Jo Daviess County: Apple River, Apple River Canyon State Park *
- Kankakee County: Bird Park Quarry, Kankakee
- Kankakee County: Rock Creek, Kankakee River State Park *
- Kendall County: Big Lake at Silver Springs State Fish and Wildlife Area
- Lake County: Banana Lake, Lake County Forest Preserve District
- Lake County: Sand Lake, Illinois Beach State Park
- LaSalle County: Illinois and Michigan Canal Lock 14, La Salle-Peru
- McHenry County: Spring Grove Hatchery Pond
- Ogle County: Pine Creek, White Pines Forest State Park *
- Rock Island County: Prospect Park, Moline
- Warren County: Citizen’s Lake, Monmouth
- Whiteside County: Centennial Park Pond, Rock Falls
- Will County: Lake Strini, Romeoville
- Will County: Van Horn Woods, Plainfield
- Winnebago County: Bauman Lake, Cherry Valley
- Adams County: Siloam Springs State Park Lake *
- Cass County: Gridley Lake at Jim Edgar Panther Creek SFWA *
- Champaign County: Kaufman Lake, Champaign Park District
- Christian County: Manners Park Pond, Taylorville Park District
- Clark County: Casey Park Pond, Casey Park District
- Coles County: Eastern Illinois University Campus Pond, Charleston
- DeWitt County: Weldon Springs State Park Lake
- Douglas County: Villa Grove West Lake
- Hancock County: Horton Lake, Nauvoo State Park *
- Macoupin County: Beaver Dam Lake, Beaver Dam State Park
- McDonough County: Argyle Lake, Argyle Lake State Park
- Morgan County: Morgan Lake, Nichols Park, Jacksonville *
- Sangamon County: IDOT Lake, Springfield *
- Sangamon County: Southwind Park Pond, Springfield
- Sangamon County: Washington Park Pond, Springfield
- Shelby County: Forest Park Lagoon, Shelbyville
- Tazewell County: Mineral Springs Park Lagoon
- Vermilion County: Clear Lake, Kickapoo State Recreation Area
- Bond County: Greenville Old City Lake
- Crawford County: Crawford County Conservation Area Pond #6
- Jefferson County: Mount Vernon Game Farm Pond
- Johnson County: Ferne Clyffe State Park Lake
- Madison County: Belk Park Pond, Wood River; Edwardsville Park District
- Madison County: Highland Old City Lake
- Marion County: Boston Pond, Stephen A. Forbes State Recreation Area
- Massac County: Fairgrounds Pond, Fort Massac State Park, Metropolis
- Randolph County: Derby Lake, World Shooting and Recreational Complex, Sparta
- Randolph County: Randolph County Lake
- Saline County: Jones State Lake Pond
- St. Clair County: Frank Holten State Recreation Area main lake
- St. Clair County: Jones Park Lake, East St. Louis
- St. Clair County: Willow Lake, Peabody River King State Fish and Wildlife Area *
- Wabash County: Beall Woods Lake, Beall Woods State Park
- Wayne County: Sam Dale State Fish and Wildlife Area Trout Pond
- Williamson County: Devil’s Kitchen Lake