Events open to the public throughout February
information provided by the Illinois Department of Transportation
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (February 4, 2019) – The Illinois Department of Transportation is hosting a full slate of special events in February in celebration of Black History Month, with rotating lobby displays featuring a variety of educational topics, from black entrepreneurs and inventors to the Harlem Renaissance.
“The Illinois Department of Transportation is committed to diversity and the role it has played in strengthening our country,” said Acting Illinois Transportation Secretary Matt Magalis. “Our staff is proud to share in that story and welcomes the public to join us for our tribute to Black History Month.”
The following events are open to the public and will be held at IDOT’s Harry R. Hanley Building, 2300 S. Dirksen Parkway, in Springfield:
- February 5-7, noon to 1 p.m., room 021: “Black Panther,” an Oscar-nominated film will be shown over three one-hour segments Feb. 5-7, with a discussion following on Feb. 7. Brown bag session. Free.
- Feb. 7, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., lobby: A vendor fair featuring a variety of goods and services related to Black History Month. Items will be available for purchase.
- Feb. 13, 5:30 -7:30 p.m., lobby: An evening of art led by a local artist. Participants will paint a dancer while enjoying light refreshments. A $30 fee will cover supplies and refreshments. Please call 217-785-8498 or 217-785-1664 to register. Payment is due Feb. 7.
- Feb. 14-15, noon to 1 p.m., room 021: “The Great Debaters” will be shown over two one-hour segments Feb. 14-15, with a discussion following on Feb. 15. Brown bag session. Free.
- Feb. 21, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., cafeteria: A fashion show featuring African-inspired designs. Brown bag session. Free.
- Feb. 28, noon, cafeteria: A special presentation by four local black youths about their efforts to help restore the historic Lincoln Colored Home, Springfield’s first black orphanage. Dessert will be available from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Donations will be accepted.
Donations collected throughout the month will be donated to the Lincoln Colored Home.