2018 was a big year in Lansing, and The Lansing Journal recorded hundreds of stories. In these last days of 2018 and the opening days of 2019, we’ll share some highlights chosen by different members of The Lansing Journal writing team. Carrie Steinweg is a freelance writer, photographer, author, and food and travel blogger who has lived in Lansing for 27 years and contributes regularly to The Lansing Journal. Below, she shares a few of her personal favorites from the past year.
by Carrie Steinweg
The Lansing Journal covered quite a bit of the happenings in Lansing this past year—from school events to new businesses to Village Board meetings. I enjoyed having the opportunity to cover a variety of topics in 2018, and here are a few favorites I’ve chosen.
This story gave me the opportunity to interview members of the Lansing Historical Society and look back at some of the significant points in the village’s history as it marked 125 years of incorporation.
- Looking back on 125 years of Lansing (December 2018 article)
Lansing Little Leaguers
It was fun to get media credentials from the White Sox to cover the appearance of nine Lansing Little Leaguers on the field before a White Sox Game.
- Lansing Little Leaguers get opportunity of a lifetime (July 2018 article)
Good Neighbor Day Parade
The Good Neighbor Day Parade is a Lansing, Illinois, original. This story gave me the opportunity to delve into its origins.
- Good Neighbor Day Parade is one-of-a-kind (May 2018 article)
By interviewing some of the village’s younger families, I learned why millennials are choosing Lansing as their home.
- Why Millennials are choosing Lansing (March 2018 article)
I appreciate Curtis Granderson and his visits back to the area. In January he returned to talk to a crowd at First United Methodist Church and to host a baseball camp for youths in Lynwood.
- Curtis Granderson returns home to give back (January 2018 article)
- Curtis Granderson holds winter baseball camp in Lynwood, Illinois (January 2018 article)
Make a resolution in 2019 to stay informed about Lansing news. Subscribe to our daily email to receive stories from Carrie and others in your email each morning:
- 2018 highlights from Thornton Township (by Ernst Lamothe)