Approximately two miles of roads to be improved this summer for $670,873
by Melanie Jongsma
LANSING, Ill. (July 19, 2018) – At the July 17 Village Board meeting, Engineer Jeff Pintar presented a list of street resurfacing projects that will take place this summer. The list includes:
- 176th Street, from Walter to Henry
- 177th Street, from Walter to Henry
- 177th Street, from Wentworth to Maple
- 186th Street, from Forest View to Stony Island
- Old Farm Road, from 185th Street to Hearth Circle
- Hearth Circle, from Old Farm Road to the cul de sac
- Kettle Court, from Old Farm Road to the cul de sac
- 184th Street, from Glen Oak to Oak
- Community Street, from 186th Street to Adams
- Oakwood Avenue, from 186th Street to 188th Street (including the bridge, which will require some specialized equipment and the installation of a special waterproof membrane)
- 188th Place, from Lorenz to Greenbay
- Lorenz Avenue, from 188th Place to 189th Street
- 189th Street, from Park to Lorenz
In addition, 177th Place is being fully reconstructed as part of the water main improvement program. That project will start within the next two weeks.
Pintar explained that many of the listed streets were chosen not only because of the condition they are in, but also because they are highly trafficked throughways that impact a larger geographic area than just the immediate neighborhood.
With all of the above repairs, the Village will also address drainage problems. Not only is improper drainage an annoyance to residents, it also increases the rate at which a street deteriorates. “We want to make sure the water is getting to the sewers and not just sitting on the streets,” said Pintar.
A motion was made, seconded, and approved to award the bid for the 2018 Street Resurfacing Program to Iroquois Paving, whose bid came in at $670,872.70.
“This is probably at the very top of my list of exciting things that have happened in this Village in the last 15 months,” said Mayor Eidam after the presentation. “I know we can’t please all the people, but I hope we’re going to make a lot of people really happy with this. This is great.”