Now available at The Shopper offices
by Arlo Kallemeyn
SOUTH HOLLAND, Ill. (January 18, 2018) – Due to a donation from State Representative Thaddeus Jones (29th District), readers of the Shopper and The Lansing Journal can now obtain their very own copy of the Illinois Constitution. It is a 48-page booklet that contains the complete Constitution of the State of Illinois.
Contrary to popular opinion, it is a very clear and concise document that is written in plain English.
Here are some excerpts to pique your interest:
- Freedom of Speech—all persons may speak, write and publish freely, being responsible for the abuse of that liberty.
- Religious Freedom—The free exercise and enjoyment of religious profession and worship, without discrimination, shall be forever guaranteed.
- Right to Assemble and Petition—The people have the right to assemble in a peaceable manner.
- Self-Incrimination—No person shall be compelled in a criminal case to give evidence against himself nor be twice put in jeopardy for the same offense.
- Right to Arms—Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
- Limitations on Income Taxation—A tax on income shall be at a non-graduated rate.
- Real Property Taxation—Taxes upon real property shall be levied uniformly by valuation ascertained as the General Assembly shall provide by law.
- Free Schools—Education in public schools through the secondary level shall be free. The State has the primary responsibility for financing the system of public education.
- Pension—Membership in any retirement system of the State, any unit of local government or school district, or any agency or instrumentality thereof, shall be an enforceable contractual relationship, the benefits of which shall not be diminished or impaired.
Copies of the Illinois Constitution may be picked up at The Shopper office located at 924 E. 162nd Street in South Holland, Illinois. Regular business hours are Monday–Friday, 9:00am–4:30pm. Call 708-333-5901 to make sure supplies are still available.